Economy hits toy donations in Westchester Co.
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (WABC) -- Barbara Sabater is collecting and carrying gifts for the annual gift drive for Westchester's foster children, but this year she admits that she is nowhere near busy enough.
"I'm in really unchartered territory here. My husband can tell you, I haven't slept in two weeks," she said.
And here's why: thanks to the poor economy, Sabater, who works for the county's Department of Social Services, only has a few dozen gifts. Those gifts are supposed to go to Westchester's 900 foster children.
A conference room was filled with several thousand gifts at this time last year. All of the gifts were sort by sections for boys, for girls, for teens -- all of them ready to be wrapped and delivered.
Two weeks before this Christmas and the conference room is nearly empty. A small pile of gifts of about 50 toys sits in the room.
"It's always nice to be able to give something that's not expected, that's not something so generic or hand-me-downs. It's something that is brand new that they would like," Sabater said.
Sabater has pushed back her gift-giving deadline by one week. That should give her enough time to sort, wrap and distribute the gifts that hopefully will arrive in time for Christmas.
To learn how you can help, please visit the Westchester County's website at www.westchestergov.com/news_gifts.htm
westchester county, white plains, holiday donations, charity, local news, joe torres
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 6 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy 57 min ago
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos