School back in session after threat at NJ high school
Bridgewater, NJ (WABC) -- Students have returned to a New Jersey high school that prosecutors say was the target of a "Columbine-like" plot.
Police were on hand Monday morning to reassure students and parents that Bridgewater-Raritan High School is safe.
Principal James Riccobono addressed the 2,900 students before classes began Monday. The principal praised a student for alerting authorities.
Two students were arrested after authorities seized guns, ammunition and explosives, allegedly meant to be used in an attack on the school.
Authorities swept Bridgewater-Raritan sometime prior to the start of classes as a safety precaution.
Teachers say they are ready to help any struggling students or those who might have information about the case.
Police say the plot came to light when another student told police that a 16-year-old junior had spoken about his plan to attack the school and students.
Police arrested the teen, who allegedly had shotgun shells, black powder and improvised explosive devices.
Then, a 17-year-old Immaculata High School senior was also arrested. Police say he is a competitive rifle shooter and allegedly had rifles, shotguns and shotgun shells.
Police say the teens also obtained PVC piping, wiring, light sockets and bulbs at a Home Depot to make their bombs.
Police won't name either suspect because both are minors.
The 17-year-old faces third-degree charges of possession of destructive devices.
The 16-year-old faces more serious charges, including attempted murder, possession of explosives, possession of a destructive device and attempted widespread damage or injury.
new jersey, school threat, school violence, local news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 22 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 15 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski 25 min ago
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 51 min ago
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
51 min ago
- Lingering flood waters create commuting...
56 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos