Man drinks glass of fat in NYC anti-soda video
NEW YORK -- The New York City health department has released a nauseating video in an effort to prevent people from drinking sugary beverages.
The video was posted Monday on YouTube.
A man opens a soda can and pours the liquid into a glass. It's actually a mess of goop made to look like fat.
When he swills the disgusting-looking substance, he ends up with globs on his face.
The message: Drinking just one can of soda a day can add up to 10 pounds of weight in a year.
Health Commissioner Thomas Farley says sugary drinks are a large part of the obesity epidemic.
A 2007 health department survey found that more than 2 million New Yorkers drink at least one sugar-sweetened beverage each day.
new york city, local news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Golden Globes nominations announced 16 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos