Man drinks glass of fat in NYC anti-soda video
NEW YORK -- The New York City health department has released a nauseating video in an effort to prevent people from drinking sugary beverages.
The video was posted Monday on YouTube.
A man opens a soda can and pours the liquid into a glass. It's actually a mess of goop made to look like fat.
When he swills the disgusting-looking substance, he ends up with globs on his face.
The message: Drinking just one can of soda a day can add up to 10 pounds of weight in a year.
Health Commissioner Thomas Farley says sugary drinks are a large part of the obesity epidemic.
A 2007 health department survey found that more than 2 million New Yorkers drink at least one sugar-sweetened beverage each day.
new york city, local news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act