Man drinks glass of fat in NYC anti-soda video
NEW YORK -- The New York City health department has released a nauseating video in an effort to prevent people from drinking sugary beverages.
The video was posted Monday on YouTube.
A man opens a soda can and pours the liquid into a glass. It's actually a mess of goop made to look like fat.
When he swills the disgusting-looking substance, he ends up with globs on his face.
The message: Drinking just one can of soda a day can add up to 10 pounds of weight in a year.
Health Commissioner Thomas Farley says sugary drinks are a large part of the obesity epidemic.
A 2007 health department survey found that more than 2 million New Yorkers drink at least one sugar-sweetened beverage each day.
new york city, local news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos