Man drinks glass of fat in NYC anti-soda video
NEW YORK -- The New York City health department has released a nauseating video in an effort to prevent people from drinking sugary beverages.
The video was posted Monday on YouTube.
A man opens a soda can and pours the liquid into a glass. It's actually a mess of goop made to look like fat.
When he swills the disgusting-looking substance, he ends up with globs on his face.
The message: Drinking just one can of soda a day can add up to 10 pounds of weight in a year.
Health Commissioner Thomas Farley says sugary drinks are a large part of the obesity epidemic.
A 2007 health department survey found that more than 2 million New Yorkers drink at least one sugar-sweetened beverage each day.
new york city, local news
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 30 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 38 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 37 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
42 min ago