US dad wins Brazil court ruling on son's custody
BRAZIL (WABC) -- David Goldman headed for Brazil Wednesday night, perhaps one step closer to being permanently reunited with his son.
"I'm hopeful. I'm not on the roller coaster," said David Goldman.
He refuses to get his hopes up until Sean is in his arms again.
The New Jersey dad has been locked in a 5 year battle for custody. Now, he's savoring a legal victory, now that one of Brazil's highest courts in Rio de Janeiro backed a lower court ruling that called for 9-year-old Sean Goldman to be reunited with his dad.
"My focus is to go down there and bring my son home back to me and his family safely," said Goldman.
The emotional case gained international attention almost a year and a half ago, when David Goldman learned that his wife had died giving birth. Her death came 4 years after taking Sean to her native Brazil and keeping him there against David Goldman's wishes. She got a divorce and then married the man who would become Sean's stepfather. Joao Paulo Lins e Silva has waged a legal battle to keep Sean in Brazil.
New Jersey Congressman Chris Smith has been pushing the Brazilian Government to get involved and resolve the case.
"There's possibility of appeals, the court may take one up on Thursday, the high court, but the fact that they took the case, the appeal, is a very good sign that they've had enough," explained Rep. Chris Smith.
David Goldman has had enough and hopes this will be his last trip to Brazil to bring his son home.
"I love you. Let's go home. I hope it can be that simple," said Goldman.
new jersey, local news, jeff pegues
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos