Water leak forces Bronx residents into the cold
OLINVILLE (WABC) -- Bronx residents were forced into the cold when a huge water tank on top of their 14-story building began pouring water into their apartments.
The building is located at 735 Magenta Street in the Williamsbridge section.
The 15,000-gallon water tank overflowed and sent water cascading down the building and into some apartments.
For frustrated residents, there was no running water, but plenty of it inside their apartments. The massive tank overflow atop the Gun Hill Houses temporarily displacing nearly two dozen residents. It also left some on the top floor of the 14-story building with a big cleanup.
"We thought the water came from the toilet, but when we checked, we saw all the water coming from the wall," one resident said.
The trouble started late Thursday night when electronic sensors designed to stop the tank from overflowing stopped working.
"One of the valves was stuck in the open position and about 7,000 to 8,000 gallons dropped down from the roof. The only way to shut it down was to shut off the main water supply in building," FDNY Chief Richard Blatus said.
Heat and water were cut to the entire building, then gradually restored. Residents were allowed back in their apartments early Friday morning and by 9 a.m., workers had completed the repair.
The heat and water has since been restored for these residents.
Meanwhile, crews continue to monitor the system to make sure it's working properly.
bronx, new city, local news, marcus solis
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures