Madoff moved from jail to medical center
BUTNER -- The federal Bureau of Prisons reports that financier Bernard Madoff has been moved from a North Carolina federal prison to a prison medical facility.
The bureau noted the change on its Web site Wednesday. A spokeswoman did not immediately return a phone message.
Madoff has been imprisoned since March, when he pleaded guilty to fraud charges and admitted cheating thousands of investors out of billions of dollars.
The 71-year-old Madoff was arrested a year ago after he confessed to his sons and later to the FBI that his private investment business was a fraud.
He is being treated at the Federal Medical Center, part of the Butner Federal Correctional Complex in Butner.
Butner is located near the cities of Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill.
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia