Photo catches corrections officer asleep on job
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two Rikers Island correction officers are facing departmental charges after a photo of one of them sleeping on the job circulated among fellow officers.
Eyewitness News has learned 30-year-old Nadja Green, the sleeping officer, will face departmental charges of sleeping on post, as well as others.
47-year-old Claudel Barrau, who apparently took the photo with his cell phone camera, faces departmental charges of no cell phone in jail and no photographs in jail.
Possession and use of cell phones in jails, even by guards, is prohibited.
Officials say both officers were removed from their posts at the North Infirmary Command, formerly the Rikers Island Hospital, last Wednesday.
They were transferred to other assignments and placed were on modified duty, pending departmental hearings.
Senior department officials acted after the photo, taken by Barrau, began circulating among correction officers last week.
Officials determined Green's identity and verified the photo was taken on Rikers before taking action.
They are looking into why Green was sleeping and why Barrau took the photo of his fellow officer.
new york city, local news
- Crews reach basement of East Harlem buildings
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 45 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to...
16 min ago