Photo catches corrections officer asleep on job
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two Rikers Island correction officers are facing departmental charges after a photo of one of them sleeping on the job circulated among fellow officers.
Eyewitness News has learned 30-year-old Nadja Green, the sleeping officer, will face departmental charges of sleeping on post, as well as others.
47-year-old Claudel Barrau, who apparently took the photo with his cell phone camera, faces departmental charges of no cell phone in jail and no photographs in jail.
Possession and use of cell phones in jails, even by guards, is prohibited.
Officials say both officers were removed from their posts at the North Infirmary Command, formerly the Rikers Island Hospital, last Wednesday.
They were transferred to other assignments and placed were on modified duty, pending departmental hearings.
Senior department officials acted after the photo, taken by Barrau, began circulating among correction officers last week.
Officials determined Green's identity and verified the photo was taken on Rikers before taking action.
They are looking into why Green was sleeping and why Barrau took the photo of his fellow officer.
new york city, local news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos