Arrest in stabbing of a boy over a video game
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Police have arrested Alejandro Morales, 25, in the fatally stabbing a 9-year-old boy.
The stabbing was the result of a fight over a video game, investigators said.
Police said at 3:00 a.m., when most children are asleep, 9-year-old Anthony Maldonado was playing video games on the 6th floor of the Grant Homes in Morningside Heights.
Just moments later, he was knocking on his uncle's door saying he was bleeding.
"He was in my room door. He said, 'Uncle, I'm being stabbed. I'm being stabbed,' and then he fell on the floor," said Carolos Juela, the victim's uncle.
His mother showed her only child's picture on her cell phone, as she and other stunned family members got the news Saturday morning.
Maldonado from Palisades Park, New Jersey, died as doctors tried to rescue him at nearby St. Luke's Hospital.
The child was visiting relatives on Manhattan's LaSalle Street.
Police made arrested Morales Saturday afternoon in the stabbing.
Morales, described as a friend of the family, was charged with murder.
new york city, morningside heights, crime, murder, stabbing, local news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall