Arrest in stabbing of a boy over a video game
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Police have arrested Alejandro Morales, 25, in the fatally stabbing a 9-year-old boy.
The stabbing was the result of a fight over a video game, investigators said.
Police said at 3:00 a.m., when most children are asleep, 9-year-old Anthony Maldonado was playing video games on the 6th floor of the Grant Homes in Morningside Heights.
Just moments later, he was knocking on his uncle's door saying he was bleeding.
"He was in my room door. He said, 'Uncle, I'm being stabbed. I'm being stabbed,' and then he fell on the floor," said Carolos Juela, the victim's uncle.
His mother showed her only child's picture on her cell phone, as she and other stunned family members got the news Saturday morning.
Maldonado from Palisades Park, New Jersey, died as doctors tried to rescue him at nearby St. Luke's Hospital.
The child was visiting relatives on Manhattan's LaSalle Street.
Police made arrested Morales Saturday afternoon in the stabbing.
Morales, described as a friend of the family, was charged with murder.
new york city, morningside heights, crime, murder, stabbing, local news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 22 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son