Big chill hits Tri-State area
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 2010, it isn't just the year, it's also the temperature and the wind chill.
Winter is hitting hard and making people think twice about going outside.
There was also snow on Long Island, making for some dangerous driving conditions.
With people bundled up head to toe, the only other time you'll see people's face bundled up would be Halloween.
When it comes to warm clothing, quantity means quality.
Dressing for the weather isn't just for comfort, but for safety as well.
"You can lose a lot of heat rapidly, so young kids need to be dressed up with lots of layers," said Dr. Gabe Wilson with St. Lukes Hospital. "The hands need to be protected, the head, and the feet," he adds.
The residents at 639 Eastern Pkwy in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, haven't had heat or running water since Friday because of a broken pipe.
The landlord says he's working hard to fix the problem, but the residents say it's taking too long.
Nassau County is offering its Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) to help those who might have trouble heating their homes. CLICK HERE for more information on Nassau County's HEAP initiative.
new york city, cold weather, local news
- Gunman dead in shotoing at Colorado high school 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 26 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 22 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 10 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says 48 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
26 min ago