Mom: Child-slay suspect is mentally ill
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS -- The mother of a Manhattan man charged with killing a 9-year-old New Jersey boy says her son has suffered from mental illness for about a decade.
Antonia Morales says in a New York Times interview that 25-year-old Alejandro Morales has been treated for schizophrenia.
Morales says her son told her on Christmas Eve that he wanted to kill someone. She says she tried to calm him and get him to return to a Brooklyn halfway house.
Anthony Maldonado, of Palisades Park, N.J., was stabbed early Saturday while visiting a Harlem housing project.
Morales says her son was paroled from a prison near Buffalo in May after serving five years for assault.
In August, he was charged with punching a man in Manhattan.
new york city, morningside heights, crime, murder, stabbing, local news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 39 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall