Mom: Child-slay suspect is mentally ill
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS -- The mother of a Manhattan man charged with killing a 9-year-old New Jersey boy says her son has suffered from mental illness for about a decade.
Antonia Morales says in a New York Times interview that 25-year-old Alejandro Morales has been treated for schizophrenia.
Morales says her son told her on Christmas Eve that he wanted to kill someone. She says she tried to calm him and get him to return to a Brooklyn halfway house.
Anthony Maldonado, of Palisades Park, N.J., was stabbed early Saturday while visiting a Harlem housing project.
Morales says her son was paroled from a prison near Buffalo in May after serving five years for assault.
In August, he was charged with punching a man in Manhattan.
new york city, morningside heights, crime, murder, stabbing, local news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare