Funeral held for NJ boy stabbed to death in NYC
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Friends and family gathered in New Jersey Wednesday for the funeral of a 9-year-old boy allegedly murdered by his own cousin.
Prosecutors say that Anthony Maldonado was stabbed 10 times as he played video games in Morningside Heights, Brooklyn, on New Year's day.
His 25-year-old cousin, Alejandro Morales, is charged with murder and is being held without bail.
His lawyer says the ex-con has a history of mental illness. Anthony's funeral will be held Wednesday at Holy Trinity Church in Hackensack.
Prosecutors say Alejandro stabbed Anthony, then slipped out of the apartment and tossed the knife into the building's incinerator.
Morales was released from prison in May after serving five years for assault.
new york city, morningside heights, crime, murder, stabbing, new jersey, local news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash