Home heating oil prices on the rise
Tuckahoe, NY (WABC) -- Josephine Candler had 165 gallons of oil delivered Wednesday.
The price of home heating oil is way up.
It costs more than a dollar a gallon more than last year.
The timing couldn't be worse.
We're in the midst of a cold snap that has delivery companies scrambling to meet demand.
Congress has set aside over 5 billion dollars to help defray heating costs for seniors and low income families.
Wednesday, Senator Schumer called on the White House to release an additional $590 million in emergency funds.
About 1,700 Westchester residents have applied for the Home Energy Assistance Program or HEAP. About 1,100 people have applied in Rockland County. Recently, income limits have been increased, meaning some residents may not realize they qualify for help.
Heating oil is currently over three dollars a gallon.
That means not only those on fixed incomes are dialing back the thermostat until prices come down or the temperatures go back up.
cold weather, westchester county, local news, marcus solis
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City 54 min ago
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Metro North New Haven Line partially restored 30 min ago
- Super Bowl 50 goes to San Francisco
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos