Teen charged after sergeant shoots him in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Police in Jersey City confirm a veteran officer shot a teenage suspect, but they're being tight-lipped about what led to the late-night shooting.
Kwadir Felton's family says they don't know why they can't see the 18-year old in Jersey City Medical Center nearly 24 hours after the police involved shooting.
"They don't let us talk to him because they don't want us to get the real story," his sister said.
Felton is accused of trying to rob an undercover cop parked in an unmarked car Sunday night.
Police say that sergeant was forced to fire.
The family's pastor got into the hospital on Monday to see him and said Felton is talking, telling his mother and sisters he didn't do it.
Felton's mother says her son was supposed to finish high school this spring.
"He's not the trouble maker," his sister added. "He doesn't stay out. He's not in a gang. He doesn't sell drugs. He didn't have a gun."
The undercover sergeant was in a red pickup truck near the corner of Dwight Street and Bergen Avenue in Jersey City.
Felton was shot in the eye. The bullet went through the back of his head.
"He may lose his vision in both eyes, but so far one eye," his mother, Dawn Felton, said.
Family members say Felton had just left a baby shower at a community center. He was walking on the sidewalk on his way home. They say there's no way he had a gun on him because he was patted down by police inside that building.
Now it's up to the Attorney General's office to gather all that information and decide what really happened.
new jersey, jersey city, police shooting, crime, local news, carolina leid
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 42 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 32 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
48 min ago