Waiting for word from loved ones in Haiti
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- The day began at Chez Cotilde, a popular Flatbush eatery, much like the night before ended.
Anxious Haitian Americans gathered around a television, hoping for a glimpse of home or on the phone trying to reach out to loved ones in Haiti.
"I have my cousin, my grandmother. She's back there. I tried to get in contact with them, but there's no connection to get and so I would like to know what's going on," Franicisco Georges said.
For some, the first real look at the earthquake's aftermath brought tears. Others still seemed unable to process it all.
"I was looking at news, I was shocked. I was like oh my God. I see everybody keeps crying. I don't understand that. This is impossible," Indy Sejouo said.
On the air, helping navigate thru this tragedy is Radio Soleil, a constant in New York's Haitian community.
Fielding questions, calming fears and providing a lifeline connection by simulcasting with a radio station on Haiti that still has a signal.
"Consoling and comforting people has always been a big part of Radio Soleil. That's what we're about," general manager Ricot Dupuy said.
In fact, many people stop by instead of tuning in. Sharing their fear and concern face-to-face makes the wait a bit more bearable.
"My mother was going crazy and she said the house that my auntie have is broke down and my grandmother's house is broken down also, so that's why we kind of worried about her because we haven't heard from her. And don't know if she was in the house or not," Marie Etienne said.
haiti, port-au-prince, earthquake, new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, local news, sandra bookman
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 8 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
21 min ago