Spring Valley mayor's husband surprises her with return
SPRING VALLEY (WABC) -- The waiting and hoping for word from loved ones in Haiti is agonizing.
But for the mayor of Spring Valley, the wait is over. Her husband, missing in Haiti, is alive and well after surprising her by showing up at home.
Noramie Jasmin, the first Haitian-American mayor in New York state, can once again focus her complete attention on her job. That's because on Sunday, her husband Ronald returned from Haiti after days of uncertainty about his safety.
"It was a moment that I will never ever forget in my life," she said. "This is the most amazing moment for a person to reunite with your loved one."
The 45-year-old father of two was painting his home just outside Port-au-Prince when the earthquake hit. He spent the next three days trying to contact his wife and assure her he was OK.
"This was the first time in my life that I am unable to communicate with my family," he said. "And I know that they were worried because something like this never happened."
It was the Department of Homeland Security and military leaders who ultimately arranged Ronald's trip from Haiti to a New Jersey Air Force base and then to Spring Valley.
"It gives me strength," he said. "And I learned that you have to help people whenever you can, you have to focus on doing good."
"A lot of my constituents are still not having the luck that I have today," Noramie said. "They are still looking for their loved ones. Just keep the faith, and I think God will answer their prayers like He did for me."
haiti, port-au-prince, earthquake, rockland county, local news, joe torres
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 51 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 19 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery