Monsignor placed on leave amid child porn accusations
FOREST HILLS (WABC) -- Allegations of child pornography are shaking up the Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn.
Monsignor Michael Dempsey has been placed on administrative leave, meaning he may not perform public priestly ministry.
The diocese acknowledges Dempsey is under federal investigation for violating child porn laws.
Dempsey's parishioners at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Forest Hills were notified last weekend.
"You are undoubtedly aware of the deep suffering and hurt that surround any matter of child abuse, especially when allegations involve a member of the clergy. It can damage, often irreparably, the innocence, the trust and the reputations of all who are in any way affected by it." Bishop DiMarzio said in a letter read to parishioners.
The Diocese says it removed the monsignor immediately after learning of the investigation.
"The steps we have taken are essential to maintaining our commitment" to the bishops' Charter and Norms, the Bishop said. "It is a responsibility we take seriously." Monsignor Dempsey has served as the Executive Director of Pastoral Communications since 1978.
new york city, brooklyn, forest hills, catholic church, local news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 15 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday 36 min ago
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 59 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 45 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing 22 min ago
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
15 min ago