6-year-old Jasmina loses battle against Leukemia
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Greenwich Village girl whose courageous battle against Leukemia inspired thousands to donate bone marrow has died. She was 6 years old.
Eyewitness New has learned Jasmina Anema was pronounced dead at 10:55 p.m. Wednesday night at the NYU Langone Medical Center.
She was reportedly admitted to the hospital Monday and diagnosed with pneumonia of her lungs. Her condition rapidly deteriorated after that.
Jasmina had been battling the disease since last January, in a fight that prompted more than 7,000 volunteers to be tested during several bone marrow drives.
But Jasmina's body rejected the one donation used in the transplant.
In December, she got to spend time with President Barack Obama, a White House meeting arranged through the Make-a-Wish Foundation.
breaking news, jasmina anema, leukemia, local news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 19 min ago
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos