White House: Look at other places for terror trials
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The White House appears to be changing course on two major decisions regarding September 11th.
First, sources say the Obama administration has asked the Justice Department to consider other places to try the 9/11 terror suspects after a wave of opposition to holding the trial in lower Manhattan.
The Daily News reported that the action came hours after Mayor Bloomberg called Attorney General Eric Holder to say he would "prefer that they did it elsewhere."
Officials have told Eyewitness News and ABC News that the White House has asked the Justice Department to make contingency plans for criminal trial venues for the accused 9/11 terrorist defendants in case Congress and/or New York prevent the trials from taking place in Manhattan.
No decision has been made, officials said.
Officials said the apparent action by the White House does not mean the trials will be moved from federal court in Lower Manhattan, but they're now at least looking at other venues.
Earlier on Thursday, Gov. Paterson told ABC's The View that he opposed a Manhattan trial because of the price tag and the burden it will put on the downtown residents.
"I think New Yorkers have been through enough," he said.
Meantime, the White House has apparently also boosted funding for ailing 9/11 first responders.
This action came after the administration outraged New York lawmakers by not backing a permanent plan to help the dying Ground Zero responders.
Members of the New York Congressional delegation met with Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on Wednesday to discuss the federal government's programs to provide medical treatment and monitoring to those who are sick because of the 9/11 attacks.
Secretary Sebelius said that the Obama Administration could not support the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act due to the bill's provisions that would require mandatory annual spending on federal 9/11 health programs.
After several lawmakers expressed their anger at the decision, officials confirmed to Eyewitness News that the White House would more than double the budget for treating ill responders to $150 million in 2011.
However, the administration is still not backing a permanent plan, they said.
9/11 trial, terrorism, barack obama, new york city, local news
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 24 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 17 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Joe Torre heads to Cooperstown 2 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
24 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos