9/11 trials in New York City off the table
New York (WABC) -- The Obama administration is proposing a $200 million fund to help pay for security costs in cities hosting the trials of accused terrorists such as Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.
President Obama sat courtside Saturday at a college basketball game.
No official word from his administration on whether the highly anticipated, highly controversial 9/11 terror trials will be moved out of Lower Manhattan.
The White House does, however, want to create a $200-million fund to help pay for any security costs associated with trying accused 9/11 mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and others.
"I said it would be phenomenally expensive and it is very disruptive to people who live in the area and businesses in the area," said New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Friday, Mayor Bloomberg was one of several voices speaking out against holding the trials in Lower Manhattan.
There was apparently enough opposition, as the White House says it is now exploring other options, although officials insist no final decisions have been made.
"I can understand why he wanted to have the trials in New York, on the same ground they desecrated, but it makes so much more sense to have the trials elsewhere," reasoned Alice Hoagland, the mother of a 9/11 victim.
The question remains, where would the trial move to?
Some possible alternatives include Governor's Island, the Federal Correctional Institution in Otisville, West Point Military Academy and Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh.
new york city, 9/11 trial, terrorism, barack obama, local news, joe torres
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 6 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 30 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 3 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 26 min ago