Manhunt continues for suspects in NJ cop shooting
FAIRFIELD (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey continue to search for the gunmen who shot and critically injured a police officer.
Gerald Veneziano, 26, is a 3-year veteran of the Fairfield Police Department. He was shot on his way to work Saturday evening. A blood drive has already taken place, and he remains in critical but stable condition.
Veneziano is in a medically-induced coma after he was gunned down while on his way to work just after 6 p.m. He had just contacted a fellow officer by cell phone, trying to arrange a traffic stop on a suspicious vehicle on Fairfield road.
"He wanted that on-duty police officer to conduct a license plate check, but the police officer was unable to do so because he was in the midst of an emergency call," acting Essex County Prosecutor Robert Laurino said.
Just five minutes later, a 911 caller reported gunfire.
"Everything is very sketchy, because there were not witnesses, other than the 911 called that found them after the fact," Chief of Investigators Anthony Ambrose said. "So once the officer is capable and able to speak to investigators, he can shed some light on the investigation."
Responding officers found Veneziano wounded, shot six times. His gun had been fired, but because he was on his way to work, he wasn't wearing a bullet-resistant vest.
Police say they are looking for several African-American men driving a black Dodge Magnum. The reward for information is up to $40,000.
Authorities say someone saw a vehicle fitting that description, which had a window shot out. Police cars and helicopters went out to look for it, but were unable to track it down.
fairfield, new jersey, police officer shot, local news, toni yates
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos