NYC funeral for 6-year-old Jasmina
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Kindergarten classmates sang "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," Sunday afternoon, at the funeral for the little star with a giant heart.
If it wasn't for six-year-old Jasmina Anema, thousands of people would not have become donors, and hundreds of leukemia victims wouldn't have gotten their second chance at life.
A chance her mother not only dreamed of, but fought for each and every day.
Last year, Jasmina's desperate search for a donor attracted celebrities like Kelly Rowland, Rihanna, and the Naked Brothers Band.
Jasmina even went to Washington to visit the President, bringing even more attention to the need for bone marrow donors.
A little more than a year ago, Jasmina was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia.
Chemotherapy and radiation replaced her once normal days of chasing butterflies in the park with her adoptive mother.
"She had one mother who gave her life and brought her into this world, and for that we are forever grateful. And, she had another mother who gave her the world, and a lifetime of love and laughter packed into six years," said Karen, a family friend.
For months they waited.
A long wait was further complicated, because Jasmina was adopted and African American, making the pool of donors even smaller.
When we first met Jasmina last year, her long curly black hair had fallen out, she had developed painful shingles, and sores filled her mouth.
Then in May, she got a near-perfect donor match.
Jasmina lived much longer than what doctors expected, originally giving her just a couple of months to live.
Her year-long battle ended Wednesday night, but her inspiration still lives on.
jasmina anema, leukemia, local news, carolina leid
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos