Plane makes emergency landing on NJ Turnpike
CHERRY HILL (WABC) -- A traffic reporter in a small plane put himself in the thick of a rush-hour tie-up when his aircraft had to make an emergency landing Monday on the New Jersey Turnpike.
It was a little before 7 a.m., before the morning rush in the Philadelphia suburbs gets going, when a low oil pressure indicator came on in the Cessna owned by Wilmington, Del.-based Out of the Blue, Inc.
The pilot, flying with traffic reporter Mike Lankford for Metro Networks, which was providing traffic reports for a number of TV and radio stations, put the plane down on the northbound lanes of the turnpike in Cherry Hill about two miles south of Exit 4.
"This was pretty much a non-incident in terms of what the outcome was like," said New Jersey Turnpike Authority spokesman Joseph Orlando. "The plane landed, he taxied it over into the shoulder. We can't even get motorists to do that when they break down."
Authorities have not identified the pilot or passenger, but have said that neither was injured.
There was a traffic backup of about a mile and a half in each direction. Orlando said that was due mostly to rubbernecking.
"For the first time in 8 years, I can probably say you had a good reason to stop and look," Orlando said.
The Federal Aviation Administration was starting an investigation.
The plane, a Cessna 152 built in 1981, was loaded onto a truck and taken to a New Jersey Turnpike Authority maintenance yard near Exit 5.
breaking news, new jersey, new jersey turnpike, emergency landing, local news
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 1 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 3 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 21 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 13 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 13 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 8 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
24 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
55 min ago