Brooklyn woman dies in fire
CARNARSIE (WABC) -- A 46-year old woman died in her sleep when her cigarette apparently set her apartment ablaze in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn.
Investigators said Sandra Lubin apparently fell asleep when her still-burning cigarette ignited her fifth floor apartment in the Bayview Houses on East 102nd Street.
The intense fire prevented Lubin's daughter from reaching her mother.
Firefighters raced to the apartment just before 6:30 a.m, but they were also turned by the heavy smoke.
Lubin's body was discovered in her bed once the fire was extinguished.
One other resident sustained a minor injury.
fire, brooklyn, carnarsie, deadly fire, local news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 43 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 46 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 24 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid 9 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos