Brooklyn woman dies in fire
CARNARSIE (WABC) -- A 46-year old woman died in her sleep when her cigarette apparently set her apartment ablaze in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn.
Investigators said Sandra Lubin apparently fell asleep when her still-burning cigarette ignited her fifth floor apartment in the Bayview Houses on East 102nd Street.
The intense fire prevented Lubin's daughter from reaching her mother.
Firefighters raced to the apartment just before 6:30 a.m, but they were also turned by the heavy smoke.
Lubin's body was discovered in her bed once the fire was extinguished.
One other resident sustained a minor injury.
fire, brooklyn, carnarsie, deadly fire, local news
- At least 6 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape