Suspect in deadly Brooklyn fire held without bail
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- The Bensonhurst building tenant who allegedly set the fire that killed five people over the weekend was ordered held without bail at his arraignment Tuesday night.
Police say 27-year-old Daniel Ignacio got drunk, used paint thinner, toilet paper and a baby carriage to start the fire early Saturday morning.
A grand jury is now hearing evidence against Ignacio, charged with arson and five counts of second-degree murder. That grand jury is expected to return an indictment against Ignacio soon.
One of the pieces of evidence to be presented to the grand jury is a videotaped statement Ignacio gave detectives while being questioned.
According to the criminal complaint, Ignacio admitted to starting the fire in the vestibule of the apartment building.
As part of the statement, Ignacio told investigators that he started the fire because "The demons made me do it."
Ignacio stated in sum and substance that he was highly intoxicated at that time and that he does "stupid things" when he drinks alcohol.
Ignacio walked out of the 62nd precinct handcuffed and telling reporters in Spanish, "I am not a monster."
Ignacio, who is in the country illegally, was deported in 2003 after pleading guilty to burglary in 2002 and serving 10 months on the felony charge, police said. He was caught leaving a woman's apartment and was found on the roof with her wallet, pink plastic comb and purple pen, police said. He was believed to have re-entered the country through Mexico sometime last year and was working as a day laborer.
On top of facing city charges, Ignacio could also federal charges for illegally re-entering the country after deportation, said Luis Martinez, a spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
fire, bensonhurst, brooklyn, deadly fire, arson, local news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 7 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 9 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 23 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos