Suspect in deadly Brooklyn fire held without bail
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- The Bensonhurst building tenant who allegedly set the fire that killed five people over the weekend was ordered held without bail at his arraignment Tuesday night.
Police say 27-year-old Daniel Ignacio got drunk, used paint thinner, toilet paper and a baby carriage to start the fire early Saturday morning.
A grand jury is now hearing evidence against Ignacio, charged with arson and five counts of second-degree murder. That grand jury is expected to return an indictment against Ignacio soon.
One of the pieces of evidence to be presented to the grand jury is a videotaped statement Ignacio gave detectives while being questioned.
According to the criminal complaint, Ignacio admitted to starting the fire in the vestibule of the apartment building.
As part of the statement, Ignacio told investigators that he started the fire because "The demons made me do it."
Ignacio stated in sum and substance that he was highly intoxicated at that time and that he does "stupid things" when he drinks alcohol.
Ignacio walked out of the 62nd precinct handcuffed and telling reporters in Spanish, "I am not a monster."
Ignacio, who is in the country illegally, was deported in 2003 after pleading guilty to burglary in 2002 and serving 10 months on the felony charge, police said. He was caught leaving a woman's apartment and was found on the roof with her wallet, pink plastic comb and purple pen, police said. He was believed to have re-entered the country through Mexico sometime last year and was working as a day laborer.
On top of facing city charges, Ignacio could also federal charges for illegally re-entering the country after deportation, said Luis Martinez, a spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
fire, bensonhurst, brooklyn, deadly fire, arson, local news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 47 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos