Authorities identify woman, child found murdered
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- The bodies of a woman and a child were found in the woods on Long Island Friday morning.
A passerby found the bodies of 19-year-old Vanessa Argueta and her 14-month-old son Diego while walking to work on Friday morning. They were shot to death.
The wooded lot is near an industrial area of Central Islip
Suffolk County police said the two lived in Hempstead.
Neighbors on Pinewood Avenue and Maple Place watched as investigators searched for clues to the unthinkable crime.
Mike Carney cuts through the area every day and says he was horrified by the news.
"That's the scariest part, the mother and a child, because there's a lot of stupid gang activity that happens around here," he said. "But a mother and a child, that's just not right at all in any situation. It kills me."
Police were still trying to determine who shot and killed the two.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Homicide Squad at 631-852-6392 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
long island, hauppauge, body found, local news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation