Authorities identify woman, child found murdered
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- The bodies of a woman and a child were found in the woods on Long Island Friday morning.
A passerby found the bodies of 19-year-old Vanessa Argueta and her 14-month-old son Diego while walking to work on Friday morning. They were shot to death.
The wooded lot is near an industrial area of Central Islip
Suffolk County police said the two lived in Hempstead.
Neighbors on Pinewood Avenue and Maple Place watched as investigators searched for clues to the unthinkable crime.
Mike Carney cuts through the area every day and says he was horrified by the news.
"That's the scariest part, the mother and a child, because there's a lot of stupid gang activity that happens around here," he said. "But a mother and a child, that's just not right at all in any situation. It kills me."
Police were still trying to determine who shot and killed the two.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Homicide Squad at 631-852-6392 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
long island, hauppauge, body found, local news
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos