Authorities identify woman, child found murdered
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- The bodies of a woman and a child were found in the woods on Long Island Friday morning.
A passerby found the bodies of 19-year-old Vanessa Argueta and her 14-month-old son Diego while walking to work on Friday morning. They were shot to death.
The wooded lot is near an industrial area of Central Islip
Suffolk County police said the two lived in Hempstead.
Neighbors on Pinewood Avenue and Maple Place watched as investigators searched for clues to the unthinkable crime.
Mike Carney cuts through the area every day and says he was horrified by the news.
"That's the scariest part, the mother and a child, because there's a lot of stupid gang activity that happens around here," he said. "But a mother and a child, that's just not right at all in any situation. It kills me."
Police were still trying to determine who shot and killed the two.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Homicide Squad at 631-852-6392 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
long island, hauppauge, body found, local news
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- George Zimmerman's parents sue Roseanne Barr
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000