Long Island daycare monitor busted for child porn
MINEOLA (WABC) -- A 23-year-old Long Island daycare monitor has been arrested on possession of child pornography charges.
Michael Hopkins, of Mineola, was taken into custody by the FBI Wednesday after a search of his home.
Hopkins was employed by a K-through-5 after-school program at Sunquams Elementary School in Melville.
Authorities say Hopkins engaged in conversations with undercover officers in chat rooms claiming he met up with at least one teen for sex and often attempted to make contact with other minors. He also claimed to have "tons" of child pornography videos and pictures available to trade.
Prosecutors say Hopkins admitted to trading and viewing child pornography for approximately eight years.
Multiple images and videos were reportedly found on Hopkins' computer.
He faces 5 to 20 years in prison if convicted.
Hopkins was released on $300,000 bond, under home confinement.
Hopkins' mother reportedly runs a daycare operation out of the family home in Mineola, although there are no charges related to that. However, the judge ruled that the mother can no longer look after any young children.
long island, mineola, local news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion 52 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 27 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 31 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
56 min ago