Residents rescued from burning apartment building
EAST RUTHERFORD (WABC) -- Firefighters rescued two people from a blazing East Rutherford apartment building this morning.
Firefighters rushed into the John Street building and pulled the residents from their apartments.
One resident was hanging out a third-floor window when firefighters arrived just before 9:30 a.m.
They rushed up ladders, fighting their way through choking smoke, to pull him to safety.
The man, who was covered in black soot, was being treated for smoke inhalation. His hair was singed by the flames.
A second resident, an elderly man, was also rescued. He was not hurt, but did get checked out at the hospital.
Another man escaped the third floor before rescuers arrived.
Heavy flames shot through the roof of the building, which houses Rocco's Tavern on the ground floor. Apartments are located above the bar.
The smoke from the fire could be scene for miles.
The fire took a couple of hours to bring under control. The cause was under investigation.
fire, new jersey, east rutherford, local news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 57 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London 11 min ago
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 52 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer today!
9 min ago