Passaic County sheriff hurt in car chase
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. -- Passaic County Sheriff Jerry Speziale is back on the job after his sport utility vehicle was rammed by a suspect's car during a chase.
Speziale sustained back injuries in Thursday night's crash, which began shortly after he heard a radio broadcast about two men breaking into a vehicle.
Speziale, who was riding in the front seat of the unmarked SUV driven by a staff member, soon spotted the men at a Hasbrouck Heights gas station and tried to arrest them. But they drove off and soon made a U-turn into Speziale's SUV.
Little Ferry police then arrived and captured the suspects after a brief foot chase.
Henry Higinio and Luis Acevedo, both of Paterson, face numerous charges including aggravated assault on a police officer, theft and eluding. It was not known Saturday if they had retained lawyers.
new jersey, passaic county, police chase, local news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 19 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son