Passaic County sheriff hurt in car chase
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. -- Passaic County Sheriff Jerry Speziale is back on the job after his sport utility vehicle was rammed by a suspect's car during a chase.
Speziale sustained back injuries in Thursday night's crash, which began shortly after he heard a radio broadcast about two men breaking into a vehicle.
Speziale, who was riding in the front seat of the unmarked SUV driven by a staff member, soon spotted the men at a Hasbrouck Heights gas station and tried to arrest them. But they drove off and soon made a U-turn into Speziale's SUV.
Little Ferry police then arrived and captured the suspects after a brief foot chase.
Henry Higinio and Luis Acevedo, both of Paterson, face numerous charges including aggravated assault on a police officer, theft and eluding. It was not known Saturday if they had retained lawyers.
new jersey, passaic county, police chase, local news
- Worker trapped in waist-deep mud in Queens trench 6 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb 47 min ago
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault 52 min ago
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA