Passaic County sheriff hurt in car chase
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. -- Passaic County Sheriff Jerry Speziale is back on the job after his sport utility vehicle was rammed by a suspect's car during a chase.
Speziale sustained back injuries in Thursday night's crash, which began shortly after he heard a radio broadcast about two men breaking into a vehicle.
Speziale, who was riding in the front seat of the unmarked SUV driven by a staff member, soon spotted the men at a Hasbrouck Heights gas station and tried to arrest them. But they drove off and soon made a U-turn into Speziale's SUV.
Little Ferry police then arrived and captured the suspects after a brief foot chase.
Henry Higinio and Luis Acevedo, both of Paterson, face numerous charges including aggravated assault on a police officer, theft and eluding. It was not known Saturday if they had retained lawyers.
new jersey, passaic county, police chase, local news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage