Family, friends mourn boy who fell through ice
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. (WABC) -- A memorial stands along the north pier at Barnegat Bay for 12 year old Daniel Licata. Daniel's mother has come several times.
The 7th grader and an 11 year old friend wandered onto the ice Saturday afternoon. The ice was too thin to hold the weight of even children.
A nearby homeowner spotted them when they fell through and called 911.
They were rushed to Community Medical Center in Toms River.
Doctors saved the 11-year old, but Daniel died.
Several yards of ice cover this area of the bay. It's thick in some places, thin in others. That's why it's dangerous to attempt to walk out there.
The 11-year-old, who has not been identified, was released from the hospital on Monday.
A memorial was held over the weekend. Many people tossed roses into the bay for a kid who was loved by many.
new jersey, seaside heights, local news, toni yates
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help 1 min ago
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday 44 min ago
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma 27 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Oklahoma tornado death toll revised to 24,...
52 min ago