Search scaled back for baby in NJ river
NEWARK, N.J. -- State Police are scaling back a search for a 3-month-old girl believed to have been thrown off a bridge into a New Jersey river by her father.
State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones says units that were using side-scanning sonar in their search of the Raritan River are wrapping up.
Jones says the search operation will continue until dark Friday and then be reassessed.
Police say 21-year-old Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem, of Galloway, told them he threw his daughter, Zara Malani-lin Abdur, off the Driscoll Bridge on the Garden State Parkway on Tuesday.
Abdur-Raheem has pleaded not guilty to charges including the attempted murder of the child's maternal grandmother whom police say he assaulted during the alleged abduction. The child's mother had sought a restraining order against him.
Zara was reported to be wearing a pink and gray Carter's onesie and may have been wrapped in a blue sleeping bag.
If anyone has information regarding the infant or this case, they are urged to report it confidentially by calling the State Police hotline 732-264-4150.
new jersey, east orange, abduction, local news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 52 min ago
- Snow falling on Long Island 35 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City 28 min ago
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 47 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro 54 min ago
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 17 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers 29 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
28 min ago
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos