Suffolk County authorities bust wheel theft ring
HAUPPAUGE -- Prosecutors on eastern Long Island say they've busted a theft ring that targeted expensive wheel rims on luxury cars.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota says five people are accused of stealing nearly 250 wheel rims and tires from auto dealerships and homes. He estimates the cost of the thefts and damage exceeds $250,000.
One of the defendants nicknamed the group the "Rim Reapers," according to Spota. Some of the cars targeted were Cadillac Escalades, Acuras, and Nissan Maximas.
The prosecutor says one set of four rims could cost as much $4,000. They were sold for as little as $500 on the street. He says other stolen items were sold online.
The arrests follow a seven-month investigation.
long island, suffolk county, hauppauge, local news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Rally held after West Village hate crime murder
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Lee Goldberg explains Oklahoma's tornado...
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Muggy
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos