Putnam County man beaten by burglars
CARMEL, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Putnam County man is hospitalized after walking in on a pair of burglars.
The victim was badly beaten inside his home on Continental Drive in Kent, New York.
Wayne Tompkins, 50, is a bus driver for seniors in Carmel.
Tompkins went home for lunch on Wednesday afternoon and walked in on the two burglars.
The boarded window now at his home is a reminder of the violent confrontation and where one the suspects jumped out of as he fled.
Tompkins was struck with a blunt object on the face and head.
Investigators were back in the neighborhood on Friday, reviewing surveillance video for possible leads.
Tompkins was so seriously hurt he was airlifted to a hospital in Poughkeepsie, where initially he was listed in critical condition.
He was found semi-conscious in the house after co-workers became worried when he never returned to work.
Police are still looking for the suspects.
putnam county, assault, burglary, carmel, kent, local news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up 27 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash 44 min ago
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime 6 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes 23 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at...
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
27 min ago
- NTSB probes cause of Metro North crash
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos