It's a group thing: NYC taxi sharing set to roll
NEW YORK -- Save money on New York City taxis? It's not a dream.
Group rates of between $3 and $4 per person are set to be introduced on Monday for taxis on three routes. The plan was initially set to begin Friday, but was pushed back due to the two-day storm set for Thursday and Friday.
Like buses, the taxis have designated departure and drop-off locations.
The departure locations include: West 57th Street and Eighth Avenue; West 72nd Street and Columbus Avenue; and East 72nd Street and Third Avenue.
Taxi and Limousine Commissioner Matthew Daus says passengers will pay less and drivers will make more money.
The group rate only applies to the morning rush hours, 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
TLC staff will be at stands to help riders.
new york city, local news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos