It's a group thing: NYC taxi sharing set to roll
NEW YORK -- Save money on New York City taxis? It's not a dream.
Group rates of between $3 and $4 per person are set to be introduced on Monday for taxis on three routes. The plan was initially set to begin Friday, but was pushed back due to the two-day storm set for Thursday and Friday.
Like buses, the taxis have designated departure and drop-off locations.
The departure locations include: West 57th Street and Eighth Avenue; West 72nd Street and Columbus Avenue; and East 72nd Street and Third Avenue.
Taxi and Limousine Commissioner Matthew Daus says passengers will pay less and drivers will make more money.
The group rate only applies to the morning rush hours, 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
TLC staff will be at stands to help riders.
new york city, local news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers