Body of teen girl found in Monsey after fire in park
MONSEY, NY (WABC) -- Police say a body was found at the scene of a fire in a Rockland County park.
The body of a young girl was discovered in the parking lot near the entrance to Manny Wildler Park in Monsey.
Town officials revealed the gruesome discovery.
"They found the burned remains of a female," town supervisor Christopher St. Lawrence said.
Earlier, the Monsey Fire Department had responded to a small blaze at the snow-covered park.
The victim's age, race and identity are still unknown.
"We have no reason to believe, none at all, that this was somebody who was abducted within the park and murdered," Det. Lt. Brad Weidel said.
As officers kept visitors from the park, police say they are in the process of reaching out to this Rockland County community in hopes of learning more.
"One of the things that we would certainly look at is people, students from the high school that may have been absent today. We're looking at all of our missing persons. We are working with the school districts," Weidel said.
Searching through snow banks and the surrounding area for evidence, police did find some items, but don't know if they are connected to the case.
A $5,000 reward is being offered in hopes of finding someone who knows who she is, who killed her and who set her on fire.
body found, rockland county, local news, tim fleischer
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act