Police identify abandoned girl
NEWARK, Del. (WABC) -- Police have identified a 2 year old girl found abandoned in Delaware, and shifted the investigation to New Jersey.
They're not saying who she is, at least not publicly. The girl's ok, but who left her and why are still mysteries.
Newark, Delaware police said the investigation and all surrounding circumstances is now centered in Middlesex County, New Jersey. The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office is now heading the investigation
The child was abandoned in a gas station bathroom last Sunday.
Richard Sedlak from western Pennsylvania is a power company lineman who was passing through on the way to a job in Maryland. He stopped, intending to use the bathroom at a Shell gas station at 804 South College Avenue, near the University of Delaware. He got a key from the attendant and headed to the door, but heard crying from inside.
"He waited a few minutes, thinking there was a parent and child inside," said Lt. Brian Henry of the Newark Police. "But when the crying continued and nothing else happened he opened the door and found the child inside, alone."
After the child's picture was aired on television, including Eyewitness News, police received tips and were able to identify the girl.
The gas station where she was abandoned has an electronic surveillance system, but it wasn't working, investigators said.
Police say the little girl would not give them her name. She just kept asking for her mother.
The girl remains in foster care in Delaware.
crime, new jersey, middlesex county, local news, jim dolan
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos