Dad of baby tossed off bridge pleads not guilty
NEWARK, N.J. -- A New Jersey man has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he murdered his 3-month-old daughter by throwing her off a highway bridge.
Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem of Galloway Township appeared Monday at an arraignment in New Brunswick via video link from the Essex County jail, where he is being held on $2 million bail. A public defender entered the plea for him.
The baby's mother was in court and watched without visible reaction.
Abdur-Raheem is charged with killing Zara Malani-lin Abdur after allegedly snatching her from her maternal grandmother Feb. 16.
Prosecutors charge that Abdur-Raheem tossed the baby from Driscoll Bridge into the Raritan River. The child has not been found.
Abdur-Raheem has already pleaded not guilty to several related charges.
new jersey, east orange, abduction, local news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 32 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
32 min ago