Dad of baby tossed off bridge pleads not guilty
NEWARK, N.J. -- A New Jersey man has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he murdered his 3-month-old daughter by throwing her off a highway bridge.
Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem of Galloway Township appeared Monday at an arraignment in New Brunswick via video link from the Essex County jail, where he is being held on $2 million bail. A public defender entered the plea for him.
The baby's mother was in court and watched without visible reaction.
Abdur-Raheem is charged with killing Zara Malani-lin Abdur after allegedly snatching her from her maternal grandmother Feb. 16.
Prosecutors charge that Abdur-Raheem tossed the baby from Driscoll Bridge into the Raritan River. The child has not been found.
Abdur-Raheem has already pleaded not guilty to several related charges.
new jersey, east orange, abduction, local news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 17 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 29 min ago
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 54 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 35 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen