Wild police chase ends with officer shot, civilian dead
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are still trying to piece together exactly what led to a police chase, shooting and deadly crash.
And caught in the middle of it all was an innocent man.
The intersection of Clifton Avenue and Second Street in Clifton was still an active spot Tuesday, marked with police tape and crawling with investigators more than 15 hours after the incident concluded.
Around 9 p.m. Monday, a drug sting went downhill when suspects in a black Mercedes exchanged gunfire with four Passaic officers. Then, they took off, speeding into Clifton. Minutes later, they crashed into a red pick-up at the intersection, killing the passenger inside. He was identified as 33-year-old Nathan Ferrer, of Clifton.
But it didn't end there, as police say more gunfire was exchanged. Passaic Officer Barulio Barbosa took a bullet to the leg and a suspect was hit in the shoulder. Bullet holes could be seen in homes nearby.
Prosecutor Camilia Valdes identified the suspects as 39-year-old Calvin Raines, 34-year-old Marquel Raines, both from Virginia, and Passaic resident Raul Ramirez.
Valdez says police found $290,000 in cash and six kilos of cocaine in the car.
The prosecutor's office is also looking into whether Officer Barbosa was shot by a suspect or if he was hit by another officer's bullet. He was treated and released from St Joseph's Hospital.
Ferrer and the driver were reportedly headed home from a soccer game when they were hit by the Mercedes.
"Sirens were coming from everywhere," eyewitness Patti Thompson said. "There were so many police cars coming, and you just heard something that sounded like fire crackers. The cops were yelling at everybody to get back in their houses."
new jersey, shooting, police officer shot, clifton, police chase, local news, toni yates
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 3 min ago
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos