Thieves stage Hollywood-type heist in NJ store
SOUTH BRUNSWICK (WABC) -- Best Buy Employees came in to work around 6 o'clock in the morning to find parts of the ceiling on the floor.
When they looked up, there was a big, fat hole.
In the movie Mission Impossible, Tom Cruise drops down from the ceiling like a spider and steals the top secret list of special agents, and gets away.
Almost the same thing happened at this Best Buy in South Brunswick, New Jersey.
Just like the movie, there's little to no sign of the burglars.
"I didn't even know there was a robbery. I had no idea," customer Ishmael Vega said.
You can see the three-by-three foot hole in the roof from NewsCopter 7.
That's how police say a group of thieves broke into the store Wednesday night. Investigators even found footprints in the snow on the roof of the building.
Investigators believe they got up there by scaling up a gas pipe.
"We believe they could have had or definitely had knowledge inside of the store. And they averted all of the motion sensors and the alarms," South Brunswick Police Chief Raymond J. Hayducka Jr. said.
They avoided surveillance cameras too.
Chief Hayducka says the thieves lowered themselves down with a rope and then snatched up nearly two dozen laptops from an elevated storage rack in the back of the store.
"As of right now, there was approximately $26,000 in laptops. However, we're still working with store officials. And they will provide if there is anything additional," Hayducka said.
Investigators say these are professional thieves. Eyewitness News has also learned there have been similar robberies at other Best Buys in upstate New York.
new jersey, south brunswick, crime, local news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen