Coast Guard suspends search for 2 off Queens
NEW YORK -- The U.S. Coast Guard says it has suspended its search for two people after a boat reportedly capsized off the Rockaways in Queens.
The Coast Guard was contacted by students at Beach Channel High School on Thursday morning. They said a vessel carrying two people capsized in Jamaica Bay around 10 a.m.
Coast Guard rescue crews and police aviation units searched the area and found two capsized boats, although one appears to have been there for some time. No other debris was found.
It is not clear yet if one of the boats was carrying the two people.
New York City fire units also assisted in the search.
new york city, rockaways, local news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 34 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 41 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
41 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos