Coast Guard suspends search for 2 off Queens
NEW YORK -- The U.S. Coast Guard says it has suspended its search for two people after a boat reportedly capsized off the Rockaways in Queens.
The Coast Guard was contacted by students at Beach Channel High School on Thursday morning. They said a vessel carrying two people capsized in Jamaica Bay around 10 a.m.
Coast Guard rescue crews and police aviation units searched the area and found two capsized boats, although one appears to have been there for some time. No other debris was found.
It is not clear yet if one of the boats was carrying the two people.
New York City fire units also assisted in the search.
new york city, rockaways, local news
- At least 2 dead, 30 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination