Coast Guard suspends search for 2 off Queens
NEW YORK -- The U.S. Coast Guard says it has suspended its search for two people after a boat reportedly capsized off the Rockaways in Queens.
The Coast Guard was contacted by students at Beach Channel High School on Thursday morning. They said a vessel carrying two people capsized in Jamaica Bay around 10 a.m.
Coast Guard rescue crews and police aviation units searched the area and found two capsized boats, although one appears to have been there for some time. No other debris was found.
It is not clear yet if one of the boats was carrying the two people.
New York City fire units also assisted in the search.
new york city, rockaways, local news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX 4 min ago
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 32 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 40-story fall from Bronx high-rise 6 min ago
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 38 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 40-story fall from Bronx...
6 min ago