Coast Guard suspends search for 2 off Queens
NEW YORK -- The U.S. Coast Guard says it has suspended its search for two people after a boat reportedly capsized off the Rockaways in Queens.
The Coast Guard was contacted by students at Beach Channel High School on Thursday morning. They said a vessel carrying two people capsized in Jamaica Bay around 10 a.m.
Coast Guard rescue crews and police aviation units searched the area and found two capsized boats, although one appears to have been there for some time. No other debris was found.
It is not clear yet if one of the boats was carrying the two people.
New York City fire units also assisted in the search.
new york city, rockaways, local news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
40 min ago