Federal tax credits for first-time buyers
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Lower prices and low interest rates aren't the only things getting people to think about buying homes.
A federal tax credit has turned out to be very popular idea, and for some people, it's another reason to buy.
Here's what you need to know about it.
If you're a first time home buyer, you get $8,000 from the government. And even if you've bought a home before, you can pocket $6,500.
In some cases, you can use that money towards a downpayment.
But there are some catches, of course. Time is limited.
You need to buy something by the end of April, and close by the end of June.
And there are income restrictions.
new york city, housing, foreclosure, local news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles 7 min ago
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 28 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Third grader killed in accident, truck...
7 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos