LI teen shot walking home from night school
BAY SHORE (WABC) -- A 16-year-old boy on Long Island is in critical condition Thursday after he was shot Wednesday night as he walked home from a high school class.
Now, police are looking for the gunman and they say this may not have been a random attack.
The shooting happened in Bay Shore
Joel Nieves was shot five times in the back at 10:30 p.m. and was left bleeding in the street. His classmates left school in groups Thursday, afraid to walk home alone.
The brutality of the attack left neighbors stunned.
Detectives are convinced it was not a random attack, but there is no evidence of a robbery. The motive was still not clear late this afternoon.
The suspect or suspects apparently fled on foot.
crime, shooting, bay shore, long island, local news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 10 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos