Dumont school district cancels class due to storm
DUMONT, NJ (WABC) -- The severe rain storms haven't just been taking their toll on houses and businesses, but on schools as well.
A number of schools canceled class Monday, indlucing the Selzer School in Dumont, New Jersey where part of the roof is missing.
Piles of debris were actually once part of the roof at the Selzer School.
Fierce winds from the storm have forced the building to shut down.
"It looked like a war zone. It was incredible to see all the damage that had occurred here at Selzer School," said Emanuele Triggiano, Dumont Schools Superintendent.
Cleaning crews have spent half the weekend handling dust from debris, broken windows, leaking from the roof, and water in the ventilation equipment.
Most of the damage is confined to the middle school section, making 12 of its classrooms unfit for use.
6th, 7th, and 8th graders will not be able to use the classrooms again for at least two weeks.
"We'll have to decide whether or not we can take care of the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students, provide them with a strong educational program, and one of the things we're obviously going to need is the cooperation of all the parents.
A very large downed tree in the middle of the street leading to the school also complicates access to the building.
This was the only school building in Dumont with such serious damage, but between blocked roadways and the lack of power to some homes, the whole school district had the day off Monday.
"[The children] they should be prepared for change. We're going to have to make adjustments and I know they will be able to do that because they always cooperate with me," said James Kennedy, PhD, Selzer School Principal.
All Dumont Public Schools will be closed on Tuesday, March 16 due to residual storm damage as well.
All schools are expected to be re-opened on Wednesday, March 17.
new jersey, wind damage, rain, local news, art mcfarland
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 56 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records 6 min ago
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 58 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
34 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on...
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos