Dumont school district cancels class due to storm
DUMONT, NJ (WABC) -- The severe rain storms haven't just been taking their toll on houses and businesses, but on schools as well.
A number of schools canceled class Monday, indlucing the Selzer School in Dumont, New Jersey where part of the roof is missing.
Piles of debris were actually once part of the roof at the Selzer School.
Fierce winds from the storm have forced the building to shut down.
"It looked like a war zone. It was incredible to see all the damage that had occurred here at Selzer School," said Emanuele Triggiano, Dumont Schools Superintendent.
Cleaning crews have spent half the weekend handling dust from debris, broken windows, leaking from the roof, and water in the ventilation equipment.
Most of the damage is confined to the middle school section, making 12 of its classrooms unfit for use.
6th, 7th, and 8th graders will not be able to use the classrooms again for at least two weeks.
"We'll have to decide whether or not we can take care of the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students, provide them with a strong educational program, and one of the things we're obviously going to need is the cooperation of all the parents.
A very large downed tree in the middle of the street leading to the school also complicates access to the building.
This was the only school building in Dumont with such serious damage, but between blocked roadways and the lack of power to some homes, the whole school district had the day off Monday.
"[The children] they should be prepared for change. We're going to have to make adjustments and I know they will be able to do that because they always cooperate with me," said James Kennedy, PhD, Selzer School Principal.
All Dumont Public Schools will be closed on Tuesday, March 16 due to residual storm damage as well.
All schools are expected to be re-opened on Wednesday, March 17.
new jersey, wind damage, rain, local news, art mcfarland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 50 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
25 min ago