Woman robbed while praying in church
EAST VILLAGE (WABC) -- Police are looking for a suspect who robbed a woman praying inside a church.
The crime happened inside the Immaculate Conception Church at 414 East 14th Street at 6:30 Friday morning.
Investigators said a 61-year-old woman was praying when the suspect grabbed her from behind the neck and forced her to the floor.
The robber removed a brown leather purse from her hand, and then ran off.
Police said he headed west on 14th Street, then south on 1st Avenue.
Surveillance cameras caught the suspect running away. (Video above)
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
new york city, east village, crime, robbery, local news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 6 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green