Woman robbed while praying in church
EAST VILLAGE (WABC) -- Police are looking for a suspect who robbed a woman praying inside a church.
The crime happened inside the Immaculate Conception Church at 414 East 14th Street at 6:30 Friday morning.
Investigators said a 61-year-old woman was praying when the suspect grabbed her from behind the neck and forced her to the floor.
The robber removed a brown leather purse from her hand, and then ran off.
Police said he headed west on 14th Street, then south on 1st Avenue.
Surveillance cameras caught the suspect running away. (Video above)
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
new york city, east village, crime, robbery, local news
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
39 min ago