Murder rates on the rise in NYC
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Just three months into 2010, and murders are on the rise in all but one New York City borough.
Residents who live in the 40th Precinct's district say they view the rise in violent crime as a concern for everyone.
"That's bad, we have to do something about it as a community, we definitely have to come together," said Jasmein Outerbridge, a South Bronx resident.
In the South Bronx, gang related violence is a constant problem.
The first 3 months of 2010 are certainly cause for concern.
There were 17 shootings, as opposed to just 5 during the first 3 months of last year.
"The cops around here, they're wonderful. I love them around here, but the crimes, it's because the youths don't have nothing to do," said Cathlene Christian, a South Bronx resident.
Citywide, it is the murder rate that concerns people across the city.
In Manhattan, there have been 16 murders so far this year, that's compared with just 9 in the start of last year.
That's an increase of 78%.
In Queens, murder is up 29%, in Brooklyn it's up 16%, and in the Bronx 15%.
In Staten Island, the exception to the rule this year.
Murder is down 25%.
The city's police commissioner says it's important to keep the numbers all in perspective.
He told Eyewitness News that the city still has the third lowest murder rate in more than 4 decades.
"We're doing well, if we kept at this rate, it certainly would be one of our lowest years," said NYC Police Commissioner, Ray Kelly.
Kelly is also urging people to keep in mind that nearly one-third of this year's increase in murders is due to one horrible case of arson in Brooklyn.
5 people were killed in that instance.
Budget constraints could make matters worse with the NYPD already coping with cutbacks and facing even more.
"Yes, are we concerned about it? Absolutely. I'm concerned about it, is the mayor concerned about it? Absolutely," declared Kelly.
Not included in this survey is the most recent death in Long Island City, where three people were shot Thursday morning. One man died of his injuries while confronting a pair of suspected robbers.
new york city, murder, bronx, brooklyn, queens, staten island, manhattan, local news, stacey sager
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 7 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 16 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 46 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
35 min ago