Officers, inmates injured after disturbance at Rikers
RIKERS ISLAND (WABC) -- Rikers Island is on heightened alert Sunday morning after a major disturbance at the jail Saturday night.
Authorities say 12 corrections officers and three inmates were taken to the hospital after inmates refused to go to their cells for routine lock-in.
The inmates are described as high security and are awaiting trial.
One of the officers required 20 stitches to close the wounds in his head and face. Most of the other injuries were minor.
Prison officials say the disturbance may have been sparked by a search earlier in the day that angered inmates.
new york city, rikers island, local news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 4 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 41 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos