Officers, inmates injured after disturbance at Rikers
RIKERS ISLAND (WABC) -- Rikers Island is on heightened alert Sunday morning after a major disturbance at the jail Saturday night.
Authorities say 12 corrections officers and three inmates were taken to the hospital after inmates refused to go to their cells for routine lock-in.
The inmates are described as high security and are awaiting trial.
One of the officers required 20 stitches to close the wounds in his head and face. Most of the other injuries were minor.
Prison officials say the disturbance may have been sparked by a search earlier in the day that angered inmates.
new york city, rikers island, local news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 9 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos