Mayor announces foreclosure service for NYers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg launched a new service initiative Monday to provide free legal support for New Yorkers at risk of losing their homes to foreclosure.
The program will increase the availability and effectiveness of free legal representation for those facing foreclosure by training and dispatching 300 volunteer attorneys to expand legal services provided by non-profit organizations.
The free legal services program is a component of Bloomberg's 2010 State of City pledge to launch the most ambitious home foreclosure prevention effort of any city in the nation.
The program will be implemented by NYC Service, the city's comprehensive initiative to promote a new era of service in New York City and direct volunteers toward the areas of greatest need.
The new program, NYC Service Legal Outreach, focuses on providing homeowners legal assistance during the mandatory settlement conference stage. The settlement conference is a meeting between the homeowner and the bank where alternatives to foreclosure are negotiated.
Settlement conferences represent a valuable opportunity to help homeowners avoid foreclosure. Homeowners who are supported in these proceedings with legal advice have a more informed understanding of their options and obligations, and are much more likely to avoid foreclosure.
Homeowners facing foreclosure proceedings who are interested in retaining free legal services should go to NYC.gov or call 311.
new york city, michael bloomberg, foreclosure, local news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer 50 min ago
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013