Mayor announces foreclosure service for NYers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg launched a new service initiative Monday to provide free legal support for New Yorkers at risk of losing their homes to foreclosure.
The program will increase the availability and effectiveness of free legal representation for those facing foreclosure by training and dispatching 300 volunteer attorneys to expand legal services provided by non-profit organizations.
The free legal services program is a component of Bloomberg's 2010 State of City pledge to launch the most ambitious home foreclosure prevention effort of any city in the nation.
The program will be implemented by NYC Service, the city's comprehensive initiative to promote a new era of service in New York City and direct volunteers toward the areas of greatest need.
The new program, NYC Service Legal Outreach, focuses on providing homeowners legal assistance during the mandatory settlement conference stage. The settlement conference is a meeting between the homeowner and the bank where alternatives to foreclosure are negotiated.
Settlement conferences represent a valuable opportunity to help homeowners avoid foreclosure. Homeowners who are supported in these proceedings with legal advice have a more informed understanding of their options and obligations, and are much more likely to avoid foreclosure.
Homeowners facing foreclosure proceedings who are interested in retaining free legal services should go to NYC.gov or call 311.
new york city, michael bloomberg, foreclosure, local news
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 22 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile