Police arrest serial mugger in Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Police say they have arrested the wanted serial mugger in Brooklyn.
Police say 25-year-old Lanell Dowling, of Brooklyn, was arrested in connection with the four violent robberies.
Lannel is charged with four counts of robbery and four counts of criminal possession of a weapon.
Last week, police passed out sketches of the suspect, who attacked at least four women since last Monday. He struck twice on New York Avenue, once on East 48th Street and, most recently on Tuesday, at the corner of Church Avenue and East 48th Street.
The first woman was 75 years old. She was still shaken up as she spoke to Eyewitness News, and an arrest couldn't come soon enough for her.
"I just saw black," she said. "Then I felt something on my head and then he told me to give him all my money. I didn't look at him and he didn't look at me. I was afraid he was going to shoot me."
Police say the suspect took her purse, cell phone and a ring before running away.
The targets of the mugger were all older women.
Police say the second incident happened just minutes after the first, as the suspect was fleeing the robbery. He encountered the second victim, a 57-year-old woman, in the lobby of 1114 New York Avenue. The suspect struck the woman on the head with the firearm, removed her property and fled the location.
A 56-year-old woman was attacked late Monday in front of 301 East 48th Street. The victim sustained a laceration to the head during the robbery.
Authorities say the man struck again early Tuesday at the corner of Church Avenue and East 48th Street. A 59-year-old woman was struck from behind several times before the suspect made off with her purse.
new york city, local news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos