Man charged with kidnapping LI girl
ROCHESTER, NY -- Police halted a train in upstate New York late Friday night to intercept a 22-year-old California man absconding with a 13-year-old Long Island girl he met on the internet.
Authorities say John Vertrees, of Sacramento, Calif. was hauled off a western-bound Amtrak train in Rochester, N.Y. sometime after 11 p.m. and charged with unlawful imprisonment.
Police also took the girl into custody. She was reunited with her family Saturday morning.
Suffolk County police say Vertrees traveled to Rocky Point, N.Y.
and climbed into the girl's bedroom window to spend a few hours with her on Wednesday.
The girl used the same window to slip out of her house at 4 a.m.
Friday. Police say she left with Vertrees in a taxi.
It was unclear whether he had a lawyer.
long island, kidnapping, local news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 51 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 53 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
29 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on...
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos