Big rat problem in Brighton Beach
BRIGHTON BEACH (WABC) -- It is a sight that could turn your stomach.
Lale Can, who lives on Brighton 7th Street in Brooklyn, is so sick and tired of the rat problem. She decided to take home video of them.
You can see the rats scurrying around at night and on the block, you can certainly see the evidence of rats -- the holes in the ground, holes in garbage cans and the many traps, which don't seem to be working. What's even more shocking is that, Sam Gomon, says they ate through the wire in the engine of his car.
"It was a big, fat rat right here. A dead one," he said, showing us his engine.
It's something people haven't seen here in quite some time. In fact, they thought the city had taken care of this problem in the past.
Residents say the rats started reappearing here in February. That's when a construction project at the 8th Street Bridge disturbed a huge rat's nest underground.
"As soon as the construction started, as soon as the drilling started, there were rats on the block," Can said.
In response, the city's health department released a statement, saying they've done 47 inspections in the area since April 6th. They also say they've baited extensively and that they plan to work with the sanitation department on what they consider "the root cause of the problem... illegal feeding of wildlife."
In fact, a spokesperson told us that numerous pieces of bread were found around the area.
Meanwhile, residents are frustrated, even afraid to go out at night.
"Now, it's just unbelievable. They walk around like it's their block," a resident named Marcos said.
Residents are hoping the problem is fixed before it gets any worse.
new york city, brighton beach, brooklyn bridge, animals, local news, stacey sager
- Winter Weather Advisory 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 48 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream 36 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
48 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
31 min ago